In 2019 so many exciting things are set to debut in Walt Disney World. The Skyliner, a gondola transportation system, 2 new resort additions, new nighttime shows in Epcot & Hollywood Studios. The air is filled with energy, but I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land.
OPENING DATES ANNOUNCED
Disneyland: May 31st, 2019
Walt Disney World: August 29th, 2019
What you need to know:
Valid theme park admission is required
– Opening day will be phase one
– Only Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run will be open in phase one
– Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open later on during phase two
– Guests planning to visit between 5/31 and 6/23 will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land.
– Guests staying at one of the 3 Disneyland Resort hotels from 5/31 – 6/23 will receive a designated reservation to access the land during their stay (one per guest).
– The land entry will NOT be included in Extra Magic Hour or Magic morning at Disneyland Park.
– Disney’s MaxPass service will not be initially offered at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.
Walt Disney World:
– Fastpass service will NOT initially be offered for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
– The land WILL be available during Extra Magic Hours
– From 8/29 – 8/31 Hollywood Studios will open to all guests at 6:00am
– Only select resorts will have access to Extra Magic Hours.
– From 9/1 – 11/2 Hollywood Studios will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6am – 9am for guests staying at the select resorts listed below*
*The Extra Magic Hours benefit applies to Disney Resort hotels, Walt Disney World Swan Hotel, Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel, Shades of Green® Resort, Disney Springs Resort Area Hotels, Four Seasons Resort Orlando, Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek and Waldorf Astoria Orlando.
- Know Before You Go
- Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.
- Park tickets, Annual Passes, vacation packages and Walt Disney World Resort Hotel stays do not guarantee access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
- Disney FastPass+ service is unavailable for the attractions in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will not be available at the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and will open later this year.
The Disney Travel Company has released the following legal disclaimers….
Disneyland® Resort: Reservations and valid Theme Park admission required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge between May 31 and June 23, 2019. Capacity for Disneyland® Park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the Park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance attraction opens later in the year.
Walt Disney World® Resort: Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the Park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance attraction opens later in the year.
If you are visiting Hollywood Studios in the near future, you may not be able to get into the new land yet, but you can get a unique photopass photo in front of this impressive entrance and pick-up some limited edition merchandise while you are there.
Below is a list of facts, that I regularly keep updated, for one of the most anticipated park expansions in Disney history.
2. It’s Set On The Planet Batuu – At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, guests will visit Batuu, a remote outpost on the galaxy’s edge was once a busy crossroads along the old sub-lightspeed trade routes, but its prominence was bypassed by the rise of hyperspace travel. Now home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream, it has become a thriving port for smugglers, rogue traders and adventurers traveling between the frontier and uncharted space. It’s also a convenient safe haven for those intent on avoiding the expanding reach of the First Order.
3. Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run where guests will be behind the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in one of three unique flight crew roles. This attraction will put you in the cockpit of the famous ship. You will have a critical mission to complete and according to Disney Parks Blog “how you perform on the mission holds even bigger stakes: perform with skill and you may earn extra galactic credits, while bringing the ship back banged up could put you on the list of a bounty hunter. End up on Harkos’s list and you may face a problem if you show up at the local Cantina.”
Height requirement: 38 inches
children under the age of 7 must be accompanied by a person 14 or older
This thrill ride features small drops, darkness and loud noises with all the usual warnings that riders should be in good health without high blood pressure, heart troubles, back or neck problems or other conditions that could be problematic. Expectant mothers should not ride.
4. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. This attraction will not be open on opening day in the parks. It is schedule to open during phase two with no official date at this time.
Guests will board a Star Destroyer, built on a scale that has never been done before, will make guests feel like they’re inside a hangar bay in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
Height requirement: 40 inches.
Announced on WDW News today, this is based on a sign that will be outside of the attraction.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
join us on an exhilarating mission to stop the First Order! This mission includes rapid motion, sudden stops, sharp turns, and a swift drop as you evade capture from the First Order.
WDW News today goes on to say,
Despite being in a trackless ride vehicle, guests will experience a drop towards the end of the attraction. The drop will reportedly simulate an escape pod blasting off, taking guests in their transports swiftly back down to the planet Batuu. We’re not talking about a drop the height of the Tower of Terror here, but at least most of the height of the fairly large show building that houses this ride
5. A Cantina Will Serve Up Blue Milk – Only one food and beverage item has been announced for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so far and that’s the blue milk Luke Skywalker made famous in “Star Wars IV: A New Hope.”
NEW – Oga’s Cantina will be coming to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in both Disneyland & Walt Disney World and will include a colorful cast of characters to mingle with. Oga’s Cantina will offer famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using ‘otherworldly methods, served in unique vessels. Libations for both kids & adults will be offers. On top of the one-of-a-kind drinks, musical entertainment will be provided courtesy of RX-24, the former StarSpeeder 3000 pilot droid we first met in Star Tours. He promises to be quirky and talkative and I’m sure he will be a central focus on the entertainment.
6. Expect To See Characters From A Galaxy Far, Far Away – Guests will also encounter many familiar faces inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, including BB-8, Chewbacca, members of the First Order and – among many others – Rex, the troublesome pilot you may remember from the previous version of a certain Disney attraction who takes on a new role in this land as the DJ at the Cantina.
7. The Land Will Feature Marketplaces & New Toys – Imagineers looked to the exotic markets of Istanbul and Marrakech for inspiration for the land’s marketplace, where guests can explore a rich collection of shops and merchant stalls. One stall will be overseen by a Toydarian, a creatures fans first encountered on Tatooine in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” Here, guests will be able to discover all kinds of fun toys straight out of the Star Wars galaxy.
8. Black Spire Outpost will be the name of the village in Galaxy’s Edge. The largest settlement on the planet Batuu, Black Spire Outpost is an infamous stop for traders, adventurers, and smugglers traveling around the Outer Rim and Wild Space. Off the beaten path, this outpost has become a haven for the galaxy’s most colorful — and notorious — characters. Widely known for the petrified remains of its once towering ancient trees, the spires now stand guard across the river valleys and plains and have long captured the imagination of travelers to this planet. To the first settlers, these petrified spires became more than just landmarks; they became the heart of the outpost itself. If you are as big of a Star Wars geek as I am, listen for the mention of “Black Spire” by L3-37 in Solo, while the droid, Lando, and the rest of the gang approach the Millennium Falcon.
9. The immersive Resort is now official: The location of the Star Wars Immersive Resort Planned for Walt Disney World Resort is now official, which has confirmed the resort we have all be talking about. I hate to call this a resort as it appears that it will be more of an experience. It is currently under development on the south side of Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, just east of World Drive. This location will allow the experience to be seamlessly connected to the highly-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, enabling guests to fully immerse themselves in the story of Star Wars.
Disney plans for this experience to stand out among all of their destinations around the globe. Families visiting this destination will board a starship that comes alive with characters and stories that unfold all around them during their voyage through the galaxy – and every cabin window has views of space! Guests visiting the multi-day adventure will also be welcome to participate as a resident of the Galaxy by dressing in Star Wars-inspired attire.
10. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Merchandise Has Already Been Released – The first Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge merchandise, available at select locations at the Disneyland and the Walt Disney World Resort, was released in December. The line currently consists of an assortment of men’s and women’s T-shirts, hats and more that feature faces and places familiar to Star Wars fans, including the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge logo, the Millennium Falcon, BB-8, DJ Rex and more.
11. View A Portion Of The Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Model Right Now – A portion of the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge model is currently on display at the end of the Walt Disney Presents exhibit at Disney’s Hollywood Studios®.
Stay tuned to Disney Travel News for more updates about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge coming to Disneyland and Walt Disney World® Resorts.
12. Paired with the land’s dynamic elements and interactive integration with the Play Disney Parks app – guests are invited to become galactic travelers and live their own Star Wars stories in a galaxy far, far away.
13. Brand new music is being composed by legendary composer John Williams, exclusively for the new Star Wars land. You can listen to the preview as well in this new video showing the construction progress…
Stay tuned for more information…..
Let me help plan the details of your galactic adventure!
Which hotel is the right fit for your family? Where to dine, attractions, crowds and all that goes along with planning a vacation is a lot to think about. With a Disney-focused travel agent by your side, you can plan as much or as little as you desire. My planning assistance all comes at NO additional cost to you and is based on countless hours of personal experience.
- Receive a welcome packet when you book, filled with information & a custom planning calendar.
- Dining reservation assistance. Help with your dining reservations (based on availability) at time that won’t interfere with your touring.
- Fastpass+ assistance. Which attractions are the best for your family to utilize your Fastpasses for and assistance making those reservations (based on availability).
- Itinerary plans and printed itinerary with added suggestions to optimize your day and your experiences.
- Assistance planning visits to other Orlando attractions outside of the Disney theme parks.
You get all of this and more when you book your Disney vacation through Melissa of Pixie Dust Adventures (me). Click here to visit my website & get started with a no obligation quote.
My name is Melissa and I am a Disney fanatic, I’m also a travel agent. You will find me almost every weekend in one of the Disney parks or exploring a Florida area attraction with my family. Living in Florida allows me to keep up to date with all of the newest things that Disney releases, on land and at sea.
Why Use a Travel Agent for your next Disney Vacation?