UPDATE: Complimentary MagicBands No longer offered
Prices vary on MagicBands for 2021. Buying them through your My Disney Experience account will offer the lowest prices. There are discounts for guests with a Walt Disney World Resort package. The prices start at $10 each for solid colors and $20 or more for exclusive designs.
A few things to know about MagicBands
- MagicBands are not required for your vacation.
- You can use a Key to the World Card in place of your MagicBand.
- You can also use the new Disney Magic Mobile service that can be set up through the Disney Experience app.
- If you have a MagicBand linked to your account from a previous vacation, you will be able to use that MagicBand for future vacations. MagicBands are not required for your vacation, you can use a Key to the World Card or you can use the new Disney Magic Mobile service that is part of the Walt Disney World app.
- If you have MagicBands linked to your account from a previous vacation, you will be able to use those bands for future vacations.
- If you would like to purchase a MagicBand for your vacation, you can buy them through your My Disney Experience at the discounted price.
What are MagicBands? It’s simple, they are your everything during your Walt Disney World vacation. okay, maybe it’s not that simple, and as your friendly travel agent, I will go into details. Of course when you book your vacation through me, I am here to help through every step of this planning process. 😉
MagicBands are Disney’s ‘all access’ Key To The World. They are your Resort room key, credit card, park tickets, Memory Maker, fastpass+, dining plan, and pretty much everything that has to do with your visit to Walt Disney World. You can tap into all the fun with just the swoosh of your wrist.
The Magic Bands are now required to receive certain photos and other digital content. This is due to technology that automatically adds photos and videos to your Memory maker account from attractions such as the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Tower of Terror.
You will be able to customize and purchase MagicBands in your My Disney Experience account after you have linked your vacation package. When you customize your bands, you can choose a short name or number that will print on the inside of each band. You MUST purchase your MagicBands at least 35 days prior to your arrival; they will be available for you to pick up at your resort when you arrive and will include your matching luggage tags as well as your Magical Extras card & vouchers.
There have still been some instances when bands have been shipped directly to your address before your departure.
Alternative Options to MagicBands
Disney currently offers three options to access the Magic and each option accesses things a bit differently. The MagicBands offer the most inclusive package as they will automatically add your attraction photos to your Memory Maker account, the cards won’t do that & the app can be fickle. There are several attractions where photos are only added automatically & there is no other way to get them.
Three Ways to Access the Magic
- Key to the World Cards
- Disney Magic Mobile app that is part of the Disney World app
After your first Disney vacation, your MagicBands will remain active in your account until you deactivate them. For consecutive Disney vacations, you can choose new MagicBands and bring along your old ones in case you want to change colors to match your outfit. 😉 Will you collect all of the colors?
I have been told that these bands do have a life span of 3 years. There is a small RFID chip inside that will expire after a certain amount of time, so if you have older bands, you may want to bring your new bands as a back up.
If for some reason you do not wish to wear your MagicBand around your wrist, don’t worry. The center is removable from the new MagicBands and you can purchase a MagicBand keeper to put the center/chip portion of the MagicBand in.
*A credit card must be presented at Resort hotel check-in or added during online check-in, in order to use your MagicBand to make purchases.
Let me help plan the details of your magical adventure!
Which hotel is the right fit for your family? Where to dine, attractions, crowds and all that goes along with planning a vacation is a lot to think about. With a Disney-focused travel agent by your side, you can plan as much or as little as you desire. My planning assistance all comes at NO additional cost to you and is based on countless hours of personal experience.
• Receive a welcome packet when you book, with information & a custom planning calendar.
• Dining reservation assistance. Help with your dining reservations (based on availability) at time that won’t interfere with your touring.
• Fastpass+ assistance. Which attractions are the best for your family to utilize your Fastpasses for and assistance making those reservations (based on availability).
• Itinerary plans and detailed itinerary with added suggestions to optimize your day and your experiences.
• Help planning visits to other area attractions outside of the Disney theme parks.
You get all of this and more when you book your Disney vacation through Melissa of Pixie Dust Adventures (me). Click here to visit my website & get started with a no obligation quote.
Thank you for reading, My name is Melissa and I am a Disney fanatic. I’m also a travel agent. You will find me with my family almost every weekend in one of the Disney parks. It never costs extra to book your Disney vacation through me over booking directly with Disney; that’s right, all of my planning services are free. What are you waiting for? Your vacation starts with a free quote.
Melissa Mathies, Travel Designer & Destination Specialist
Pixie Dust Adventures – Destinations by Melissa